Saturday, November 10, 2007

Whispers of the Little Flower (2)

I realised that in order to become a Saint one must suffer much, always seek the most perfect path, and forget oneself. I also understood that there are many degrees of holiness, that each soul is free to respond to the calls of Our Lord, to do much or little for His Love--in a word, to choose amongst the sacrifices He asks. And then also, as in the days of my childhood, I cried out: "My God, I choose everything, I will not be a Saint by halves, I am not afraid of suffering for Thee, I only fear one thing, and that is to do my own will. Accept the offering of my will, for I choose all that Thou willest."
Reflection
How God so wishes that all may choose to seek the most perfect path towards theosis. Yet, God so loves us that he is willing to give us the freedom to "choose amongst the sacrifices he asks." Unfortunately, we depraved humans tend to capitalise on such privilege and choose to go against God's wishes by shunning this most perfect path because of the sacrifices involved.

We choose the other path, the path of contentment.

We are contented that our salvation is secured by a sinner's prayer without the desire to pursue a fruitful life.

We are contented of living the life of a baby Christian for life, forever feeding on spiritual milk.

We are contented of embracing the teachings of Christ only on Sundays (and maybe Saturdays), blatantly embracing the teachings of the world for the rest of the weeks.

We are contented of serving God and others only at our convenience, ignoring the needs of others when self-sacrifice is involved.

We are contented of buying luxurious houses, cars and state-of-the art gadgets etc., but hesitant to offer any help to the billions in the world who are suffering in hunger and poverty.

God, have mercy upon us. Help us to always seek the most perfect path, that we may follow Christ in the best way we know how, no matter how much it costs.

Let your kingdom come, let your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home